Sunday 30 March 2014

Stereotypes (Schmereotypes)

Stereotypes (Schmereotypes)

Stereotypes are bad, right? I've spoken about Labels on this blog before (search for it, the bar is right there at the side and I've can't be bothered to link to it just this once) but this is whole different kettle of fish. Less fish and more piranhas.

No, stereotypes aren't bad, necessarily. The use of them is. People that don't conform to the stereotypes of a large group get upset (with reason, too) when they get used. The majority of people accept that this is wrong, and they do try to stay clear from overusing the stereotypes. The problem lies in the fact that people that conform to those stereotypes do exist, and we cannot say that what they do is wrong because it's been overused by other people.

One nasty stereotype is that people who listen to punk/grunge/post-hardcore/et cetera music cut themselves. Emotive punks, dubbed "emo"s have a massive stereotype that assumes that the culture is built out of self-harm and suicidal thoughts. And that's upsetting for people that appreciate the music, and don't want to be seen as self-harming, or self-hating, or depressed, or suicidal. But it's also upsetting to those who that stereotype does apply to.

I have in the past cut myself, self-harmed in other ways and have felt suicidal for large chunks of my life. But to assume that this is because of the music I listen to completely dismisses these feelings, which were/are difficult enough as it is! The music I listen to has almost no bearing, or a positive bearing on my emotional health, and for people to assume that these problems would go away if I just got into bubblegum pop is highly offensive to me.

I'm bi/pan and a feminist. Am I one because of the other? No. I'm bi/pan because I was born that way and I am a feminist because I believe in the social, economic and political equality of the sexes and genders. And no, that doesn't give you the right to assume I hate men, either. Conforming to part of a stereotype does not mean I necessarily conform to all of it.

Am I on my period? Maybe. Either way, you have no right to completely dismiss anything I say because of that.

Stereotypes have been too far taken away from. The idea of moving away from potentially hurtful stereotypes is hugely beneficial, but not to the extent that we are not at. Women may feel like they cannot be stay-at-home mothers and find themselves under pressure to be some kind of superhuman strong independent business worker to make something of herself. Gay men may feel like being camp and flamboyant is not an option because they are just conforming to a stereotype.

Just because someone is a stereotype does not mean that they are not a fully rounded human being. But never is someone only that stereotype, or only one stereotype. There is always more.

Just my tuppence worth, Bella Fern

There are now quite a lot of people reading this blog (blushes and hides under duvet) and I would kind of like to be slightly more interactive. Feel free to tweet me: @ThatBellaFern

No comments:

Post a Comment